The Ken was founded in October 2016 as an attempt to re-imagine business journalism. Not for everyone, but for the not insignificant subset of smart and curious subscribers who valued their own time and intelligence above all else. Today, 5 years later, we have over 300,000 such subscribers in India, Southeast Asia, and the rest of the world, over a tenth of who are paying ones.
Our diverse global subscriber community comprises innovative and successful entrepreneurs and senior executives, venture investors, knowledge professionals, policy makers, students, top-ranked B-schools and some of the most innovative and well-known business and tech companies. We are also funded by a set of stellar investors, including Omidyar Network.
In India, we are headquartered in Bengaluru and have virtual offices in Delhi and Mumbai. In Southeast Asia, our full-time writers report from Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia.
About the role
If you love (a) podcasting, (b) business, workplaces and careers, and (c) great conversations, then what follows will be a dream job description.
We’re looking for a sharp, curious and ambitious host who has the ability to connect with people, steer discussions and engage listeners on topics connected to business, workplaces and careers. Think Adam Grant and Esther Perel.
Here’s just a few of the perks of joining The Ken’s fast growing audio team (already three strong):
- We are incredibly ambitious! We want to create audio products that give international podcasts a run for their money.
- You will work alongside India’s best newsroom and audio talent.
- You will have access to India’s best community. Your audience will include founders, VCs, policy makers, business leaders, knowledge professionals. Not just in India but Southeast Asia and the rest of the world too.
- You will learn and grow at an incredible, unmatched pace.
What we expect you to own and deliver:
- Finding a diverse and qualified set of guests for the show and reaching out to them to convince them to speak with us.
- Coordinating with the rest of the audio team to facilitate great recording sessions.
- Deeply listen and moderate tricky conversations around some of the sharpest topics in business.
- Selecting touchy topics and scratching the ‘itch’ for the audience.
- Writing ‘intros’ that draw the listener in and make them never want to leave.
- Coming up with fresh new ideas that we can try out.
This is a remote role, but there will be some in-person recording sessions which will happen in Bangalore.
2-4 years experience in broadcast journalism or some form of audio storytelling. Experience in business, technology or healthcare journalism is a plus.
One of our tenets is to offer the most competitive salaries and meaningful benefits we can to our colleagues. While we do keep an eye on what our peers or larger media incumbents pay, we are neither limited or guided by them. What this means is that promising candidates can almost always assume they will be compensated well.
We love self-driven individuals. We give them autonomy and freedom instead of shackling them with processes. Our team is comprised of people who build things, knock down bugs and research new technologies to deliver value. Day after day. Relentlessly. You’ll be one of them.
What would help your candidature:
- Exemplary communication skills – listening, holding space, directing and facilitating.
- Command over your voice and confidence to hold your own on the airwaves.
- Finding the right question that unpacks ‘not so easy to get to’ areas of a person’s life.
- High Podcasting IQ and EQ. You need to understand what gets the listener’s attention and what makes the podcast stick.